WHAT IS YOGA NIDRA? Yoga nidra is a paradoxical meditative state of awakened sleep, where you may rest deeply in the Heart while experiencing radiant reconnection with all of life. It can be accessed through spontaneous arisings, self-practice, or the guidance of a facilitator, and offer many gifts in the process.
WHAT “GIFTS” CAN I EXPECT DURING PRACTICE? Yoga nidra practices hold space for you to heal and grow in your own unique way. This could mean a much needed snooze, wakeful relaxation, emotional awareness, intention cultivation, or even creative insight—the gifts can be surprising and bountiful, especially with consistent practice. However, you may find relief in letting of all expectations, knowing that your body will automatically extract what it currently needs from each practice.
WHAT POSITION DO I PRACTICE IN? Yoga nidra is typically practiced lying down in a well-supported and comfortable position. Pictured below are a couple arrangements that work well for most folks (plus pile on blankets to ensure warmth), though it is best to listen to your body directly, as it will provide the best advice for setting up.
HOW DO I PRACTICE? To simply be present and allow the sound of the facilitator’s voice to wash over you is more than enough; little concentrative effort is required. Autonomous self-care is recommended, meaning that you may adapt any of the instructions, mindfully adjust positions, take a drink of water, open your eyes, or do whatever else is needed to feel safe and secure throughout.
TAKING BACK THE NIGHT (2020)
Total running time: 3:06 hours
Pre-requisites: Basic distress tolerance and emotion-regulation skills
Suggested contribution: $25 – $50 CAD sliding scale through e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org (within Canada) or PayPal (outside Canada)*
A collection of yoga nidras for supporting survivors’ healing journeys. These practices facilitate grounded presence, a felt-sense of inner safety and trust, reconnection to your body’s intuitive wisdom, soothing remedies for physical and emotional pain, healthy relationships with yourself and others, and restful sleep to reclaim your night.
1. Listen In – Settling into a receptive space for deep inner listening • 14:32 🌓 🌕
2. Safe Explorations – Building a foundation of security for safe inward explorations • 23:53 🌑 🌓
3. Body Appreciation – Growing gratitude for your body in all of its wonder, complexity, and resilience • 17:25 🌓 🌕
4. Spacious Ease – Feeling into the vast spaciousness that resides within and all around you • 19:02 🌑 🌓 | Music: Meditative Mind – 174 Hz Pain Relief
5. Mindful Mayas – Cultivating present moment awareness of your body, breath/ energy, mind, inner wisdom, and joyful essence; illuminating the pathway home to your Heart • 39:22 🌑 🌓 🌕
6. Healing Moonlight – Resting in mindful self-compassion for coping with emotional stress • 30:40 🌑 🌓 | Music: Meditative Mind – 417 Hz Cleanse Negative Energy
7. Grow Love, Give Love – Opening your heart to yourself, a loved one, and the connection between (three-layer maitri) • 20:43 🌓 🌕
8. Soothing Lullaby – Coaxing your body into conscious sleep with gentle rhythms and rotations • 20:30 🌑 | Music: Faith’s Hymn – Beautiful Chorus
🌑 Sleep nidra – Practices for transitioning into sleep
🌓 Nidra nap – Practices for any time during waking hours
🌕 Waking nidra – Practices for transitioning into wakefulness
*Your kind generosity would allow me to continue sharing yoga nidra albums in the most accessible way possible.